Sunday, November 24, 2013

Super simple ornament ideas

With a holiday craft show coming up, I had to spend the weekend making some really quick and simple ornaments to include with my wares.  I thought you guys might like a quick tutorial on how to do them.  These are so simple, you can make enough for an entire tree in just a couple of hours, or as quick gifts for office mates, or an afternoon project for your tween.


I made two styles.

For the white ones on the right, follows these steps:


  • Roll out plain white polymer clay (I use Premo! exclusively) on your thickest setting or with a roller
  • Double up your clay so that you end up with a stack about 2 cm thick
  • Cut out your preferred shape.  I used the cookie cutters I had on hand.  You can also free-hand this.
  • Make a hole for hanging ribbon.
  • Sprinkle the top with micro-fine glitter - I used frost.  You can't really see it in this image.
  • Bake according to package instructions
  • While your shapes are baking make the holly and berries.  See image below
  • Bake your holly. When they are done and cooled, antique them with brown acrylic paint.
  • When everything is cool, glue your holly to your shape
  • Tie a ribbon through the hole and decorate your tree!



For the ornaments on the left, they start out the same:
  • Roll out plain white polymer clay (I use Premo! exclusively) on your thickest setting or with a roller
  • Double up your clay so that you end up with a stack about 2 cm thick
  • Cut out your preferred shape.  I used the cookie cutters I had on hand.  You can also free-hand this.
  • Make a hole for hanging ribbon.
but don't bake yet!  Instead:
  • Add texture to the surface.  I used a paper towel
  • Using archival ink, carefully stamp your images onto the surface.  This is really easy to smudge, so use caution
  • Bake according to the package instructions
  • When cool, string with your choice of ribbon.  I used recycled sari silk
  • For added interest, string a bead on wire, and attach it to the ribbon
I don't have a Christmas tree, or any nearby pine trees (ok, there is an entire mountain full right behind my house, but I would have to get dressed and go for a hike to reach any of them and it's Sunday morning and I am still in my sweats so cut me some slack)  so here is a ridiculous action shot of two of them hanging
in my sad little apple tree in the back yard:


fin

No comments:

Post a Comment